We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in Memphis, Tennessee. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for high school, college, leadership, and life.
Message from the Principal
Dear Kirby Families,
I am pleased to be serving as the principal of Kirby Middle School. I am thrilled to serve our community in a greater capacity and to continue the great work of all of the past and present teachers and leaders here at Kirby. I have been a member of the Kirby community since 2016 when I joined the team as an Administrator in Residence and continued to serve last year as an Assistant Principal.
Although I am new to my current role, the mission and focus of Kirby Middle School will remain the same. We will continue to operate a structured and supportive campus, and provide rigorous instruction to ensure that all of our students are prepared for college, leadership, and life. Year after year, our students continue to raise the bar for academic achievement and growth which is how we were able to accomplish scoring Level 5 on the Tennessee Value-Added Assessment System (TVAAS). I look forward to continuing to this journey to academic, social, and behavioral success.
My vision for Kirby this year is to continue to achieve success in these areas through fully adopting Restorative Practices and investing our students in the Cougar’s Creed which is centered around the core values of Community, Academics, Respect, and Excellence. Our incredibly skillful team of teachers, leaders, and staff members will be sure to hold students accountable to these core values through the adoption of new systems for discipline as well as revamped student incentive programming. It’s incredibly rewarding to see this vision coming to fruition already this year!
I have enjoyed meeting and speaking with many of you, the parents and families of Kirby, over the past two years and I look forward to getting to know even more of you in the future. Please join me at our upcoming parent events and continue to stay connected to your student’s academic and behavioral progress by logging onto the Hero system and the Power School system regularly.
News and Announcements:
Please RSVP for this event using one of the following methods: Contact us at Kirby Middle School (901) 730-8169 with your student(s) name and grade(s) and the number of people attending Send an email to Anna Otto, firstname.lastname@example.org, with the your student(s) name and grade(s) and the number of people attending Print this form and return…
2018 Graduation Photos
Latest Updates from Kirby
- How Cougar Cash is Helping Transform Students Like JeremiahWhen Jeremiah Mason joined Kirby Middle School in sixth grade, he admits he was getting in a fair amount of trouble. “I didn’t know anyone, and I argued about work and I was fighting,” reflected Mason, currently in eighth grade. “But now, it’s just calm.” Kirby Principal Marian Williams notes that the difference is marked: “In the past, Jeremiah had gotten into several verbal and physical fights with other students and was frequently off task, and defiant with adults. This year, he hasn’t been ... read more
- Kirby Middle School Hosts Partner Celebration of 100,000 School Shirts DonatedPhoto courtesy of Agape North At Green Dot, we know it takes the dedication of every part of a community to fulfill our mission in the face of overwhelming need. While a school shirt might not seem like a large expense to some, it can create a barrier for some parents eager to enroll their student at a Green Dot school. That’s why we work with organizations like Agape North, who has donated school shirts to several ... read more
- Strong Leaders Take the Helm at Green Dot Schools Across the CountryAs we begin a new school year, Green Dot Public Schools is proud to introduce a number of new school leaders. While not all are new faces at their schools, they are all new to the helm. These educators will drive the direction of our schools, embody our mission to serve all students, and inspire their teachers, families and communities to commit to excellence in public education. With the opening of two new schools--Ánimo Compton Charter School in Los Angeles and Rainier Valley Leadership Academy ... read more
- Three Green Dot Schools Achieve TVAAS Scores of 5 as 2018-19 School Year CommencesThree Green Dot schools – Bluff City High School, Kirby Middle School, and Wooddale Middle School – all achieved Tennessee Value-Added Assessment System (TVAAS) scores of 5 as they opened in early August for the 2018-19 school year. The scores show significant growth and achievement for Green Dot Public Schools’ students. We began operating schools in Memphis since 2014 when we were invited by the state’s Achievement School District to transform several local middle and high schools. TVAAS measures student growth year over ... read more
- Can’t We All Just Get Oolong? How a Tea Party and Other Gatherings Are Growing Young Ladies at Kirby“What does it mean to be a young lady?” That’s the question that Kirby Middle School Principal Deadre Ussery has been helping to answer for a group of 10 eighth grade girls this semester. Around December of last year, Ussery was noticing a pattern of behavior with this particular group of girls that was taking their focus away from learning and cultivating a positive school environment. “I used to run a girls group when I was a teacher, and I realized I had to go ... read more