We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in Memphis, Tennessee. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for high school, college, leadership, and life.
Message from the Principal
Dear Kirby Families,
I am pleased to be serving as the principal of Kirby Middle School. I am thrilled to serve our community in a greater capacity and to continue the great work of all of the past and present teachers and leaders here at Kirby. I have been a member of the Kirby community since 2016 when I joined the team as an Administrator in Residence and continued to serve last year as an Assistant Principal.
Although I am new to my current role, the mission and focus of Kirby Middle School will remain the same. We will continue to operate a structured and supportive campus, and provide rigorous instruction to ensure that all of our students are prepared for college, leadership, and life. Year after year, our students continue to raise the bar for academic achievement and growth which is how we were able to accomplish scoring Level 5 on the Tennessee Value-Added Assessment System (TVAAS). I look forward to continuing to this journey to academic, social, and behavioral success.
My vision for Kirby this year is to continue to achieve success in these areas through fully adopting Restorative Practices and investing our students in the Cougar’s Creed which is centered around the core values of Community, Academics, Respect, and Excellence. Our incredibly skillful team of teachers, leaders, and staff members will be sure to hold students accountable to these core values through the adoption of new systems for discipline as well as revamped student incentive programming. It’s incredibly rewarding to see this vision coming to fruition already this year!
I have enjoyed meeting and speaking with many of you, the parents and families of Kirby, over the past two years and I look forward to getting to know even more of you in the future. Please join me at our upcoming parent events and continue to stay connected to your student’s academic and behavioral progress by logging onto the Hero system and the Power School system regularly.
Latest Updates from Kirby
- La Prensa Latina: How Green Dot Is Helping Transform Public Education In TennesseeCecilia Walker, Director of Development at Green Dot Public Schools Tennessee speaks with La Prensa Latina Media about closing the digital divide and supporting Memphis students pave a path to success. Yamile: What are your goals at Green Dot? Cecilia: As we have seen, COVID-19 will continue to impact in-person schooling and programs. While we are respecting all guidelines implemented by the CDC, we will not allow this disruption to put our students’ futures on hold. ... read more
- The 74 — Soleo: In Education, the Oldest Form of Discrimination Is the Status Quo. That’s Why Memphis’s Priority Schools Shouldn’t Return to Their DistrictsBy Chad SoleoCEO, Green Dot Public Schools National Let there be no confusion: For more than half a century, public education in Memphis has been delivered in a systemically inequitable fashion, and historically low-income and vulnerable neighborhoods have had it the worst. In high schools, dropouts outnumbered graduates, and the disparate outcomes fell along traditional lines of race ... read more
- FOX13 — Kirby Middle offers “reflection room” as alternative to detentionKirby Middle School's reflection room offers students a space to resolve conflict and process emotions. Watch the Full Story The post FOX13 — Kirby Middle offers “reflection room” as alternative to detention appeared first on Green Dot Public Schools Blog. ... read more
- How Cougar Cash is Helping Transform Students Like JeremiahWhen Jeremiah Mason joined Kirby Middle School in sixth grade, he admits he was getting in a fair amount of trouble. “I didn’t know anyone, and I argued about work and I was fighting,” reflected Mason, currently in eighth grade. “But now, it’s just calm.” Kirby Principal Marian Williams notes that the difference is marked: “In the past, Jeremiah had gotten into several verbal and physical fights with other students and was frequently off task, and defiant with adults. This year, he hasn’t been ... read more
- Kirby Middle School Hosts Partner Celebration of 100,000 School Shirts DonatedPhoto courtesy of Agape North At Green Dot, we know it takes the dedication of every part of a community to fulfill our mission in the face of overwhelming need. While a school shirt might not seem like a large expense to some, it can create a barrier for some parents eager to enroll their student at a Green Dot school. That’s why we work with organizations like Agape North, who has donated school shirts to several ... read more
- The 74 — Soleo: In Education, the Oldest Form of Discrimination Is the Status Quo. That’s Why Memphis’s Priority Schools Shouldn’t Return to Their Districts