We are a public, tuition-free, college preparatory charter school serving a diverse population in Memphis, Tennessee. Our mission is to help transform public education so ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life.
Message from the Principal
Welcome to Bluff City High School, home of the Gray Wolves!
We’re excited to host the founding class of 2021 and look forward to welcoming new students in the near future. We are committed to establishing a safe school environment that prepares our scholars for College, Leadership and Life. With the support of parents and the surrounding community, we believe our scholars are destined to make a positive impact in the City of Memphis and beyond.
Latest Updates from BCHS
- The 74 — Soleo: In Education, the Oldest Form of Discrimination Is the Status Quo. That’s Why Memphis’s Priority Schools Shouldn’t Return to Their DistrictsBy Chad SoleoCEO, Green Dot Public Schools National Let there be no confusion: For more than half a century, public education in Memphis has been delivered in a systemically inequitable fashion, and historically low-income and vulnerable neighborhoods have had it the worst. In high schools, dropouts outnumbered graduates, and the disparate outcomes fell along traditional lines of race ... read more
- Happy Campers: Bluff City Students Experience the Great OutdoorsLast year, a group of 40 founding freshmen from Bluff City High School spent one night at Camp Chia La Key in Huntsville, Alabama. Participants were offered a spot on the trip based on behavior and attendance. The trip began with a tour of Alabama A&M University, where students had lunch on campus and learned more about the university, and ended at the YMCA campground. “The trip was Principal Cleaves’ idea and I thought he was crazy,” recalled Stephanie Wortham, the counselor at ... read more
- How This Student Grew Over Three Years in Math in Just One YearThis piece is part of Faces of Growth, a series of profiles that underscore the importance of looking at student performance and school effectiveness through the lens of growth, and not just absolute achievement. This series provides an opportunity to celebrate our students’ hard work and our educators’ tireless dedication. When Lorenzo Mays, now a sophomore at Bluff City High School, entered the school as a freshman, his iReady testing results demonstrated ... read more
- Reflecting On a 2018 of GrowthAs we turn the page on a new year, we take this time to reflect on all the ways we’ve grown in the past year. We have much to be proud of, and still more growth to pursue, but always, we remain committed to the students and families who have entrusted us to help pave a path of preparation for college, leadership, and life. Growing How Many We Serve 14,000 Students in ... read more
- Three Green Dot Schools Achieve TVAAS Scores of 5 as 2018-19 School Year CommencesThree Green Dot schools – Bluff City High School, Kirby Middle School, and Wooddale Middle School – all achieved Tennessee Value-Added Assessment System (TVAAS) scores of 5 as they opened in early August for the 2018-19 school year. The scores show significant growth and achievement for Green Dot Public Schools’ students. We began operating schools in Memphis since 2014 when we were invited by the state’s Achievement School District to transform several local middle and high schools. TVAAS measures student growth year over ... read more